Tuesday, December 16, 2008

engaging

This was probably the 3rd most embarrassing moment of my life...

The most embarrassing moment is too shocking, even for the internet.

The second most is when I happened to pass gas (really bad) during my chair placement audition for the All-State Honor Band in high school in front of my three 20-something year old male judges.

And now for #3...

This past Friday Ryan and I attended a Christmas dinner with my dad's antique car club. My dad has been the president for the past two years and is one of the youngest members. (Everyone else is at least 70). When we walked in, one of the first comments made was "Well this room just got a whole lot better looking!" And an older gentleman began to chat with us for the next 30 minutes. After meeting several of the car club members (there were about 100 people there), it was time for dinner.

As I was returning to my seat with dessert, I was stopped by Dean, the man who was going to be the next president of the car club, starting that night, and his new fiance, Linda. I talked with them for about 10 minutes, they were very nice, and one of the couples that was still under 60.

Then Dean said, "So, I hear that you are getting married!"

Me: "Well, I'm not engaged..." I didn't want to gush about Ryan to them because I knew they would regurgitate everything I said to my father.

Linda: "Oh...but are you close to it?"

Me: "We've talked about it but I think it will be a few months until we are."

Linda: "Have you looked at rings?"

Me: "We haven't gone yet..." Then my dad began giving a speech, so I sat down, glad that I'd clarified that I wasn't engaged before things got back to my dad.

My dad introduced Ryan and me to the crowd and told a little bit about each of us. So everyone knew where we were sitting and who we were. Then my dad introduced Dean as the new president. Dean gets up to give his speech and the first thing out of his mouth was:

"So Mike, I hear your daughter is getting married soon!"

One hundred 70+ year old faces turn my direction, each with an anticipatory grin. I could feel myself turning bright red, the kind of red where your face feels like pins and needles and you want to crawl under the table. I didn't dare look at Ryan, but my dad's face was a combination of shock and annoyance with Dean as he stammered "Well, I think they're still working on it."

I hid my hands under the table because all of the prying eyes were looking for my non-existent ring.

When my dad got back to the table I sheepishly giggled "Surprise!"

It was pretty embarrassing. The woodwind trio that played Christmas carols for us after the speeches informed us that they also play for weddings. And as everyone was leaving, Ryan and I got several congratulations on our engagement from well meaning 70 year old women.

So apparently I'm engaged! Just what I've always wanted!

No comments: