Friday, March 16, 2012

friday: aloo gobi



I loved eating aloo gobi and chicken tikka masala when I was in India. The aloo gobi I've had back home isn't quite the same, especially when I make it myself. Still good, but not quite the same. In my memory, aloo gobi was more like chicken tikka masala sauce but with vegetables instead.

So I tried recreating it this Friday. It isn't my finest creation, but it's not bad. I made it in the slow cooker to make sure the potatoes got nice and tender.

I also tried a new butter naan recipe that I found from The Novice Chef. The naan was softer than what I've tried to make before, but it was missing the buttery flavor that I love so much. Next time I think I'll make it with 1/4 cup melted butter instead of oil.

Hope you enjoy it!


Aloo Gobi

1 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
3 russet potatoes, diced
28oz can crushed tomatoes
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic
1" cube ginger, minced
2 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 cups jasmine or basmati rice, prepared according to directions
1 cup frozen peas, steamed

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Heat until potatoes and caulifower are tender (7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high).
30 minutes before serving, prepare rice according to directions.
Serve over rice and top with steamed peas.
Enjoy with butter naan.


Butter Naan from The Novice Chef

2 tsp dry active yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water
2.5-3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 melted butter
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
1 large egg

Combine yeast, sugar and water in a bowl. Allow to set until frothy, about 5 minutes.
Add flour, salt, oil, yogurt and egg. Stir/knead until well combined. Then knead dough 3-5 minutes until a soft, not sticky, dough is formed.
Cover with a towel and rest for 1 hour, until doubled in size.



Begin heating a large, heavy skillet on medium heat.
Divide into 8 pieces. Roll each section into a ball. Roll each ball into a thin circle and brush each side with a small amount of melted butter.
Cook the naan in the heated skillet until large bubbles are seen in the dough (about 3 minutes). Then flip the naan and cook until the bubbles are browned on the other side (about 2 minutes).
Brush with more melted butter and enjoy warm.

Enjoy!

Love, K

No comments: