Wednesday, February 13, 2008

my cookie is a liar

I have been excited for today for the past three months. Why is that, you ask? Well, three months ago, on November 12, 2007, I was eating a fortune cookie. I love to read the fortunes, even though I don't really believe in fortune cookies. This fortune, however, said:

Remember three months from
this
date. Good things are in
store for you.


So, I counted three months from the date and came up with February 12, 2008. At the time I honestly wondered if I would be proposed to on 2/12 or if something equally amazing would happen. Maybe it was just going to be a good day.

This was all going through my mind as I wrote 11/12/07 and 2/12/08 on the fortune and hung it up in my bathroom's medicine cabinet.

For the next three months, I eagerly awaited February 12 as if it was my birthday. Each morning when I saw my cookie's message, I would have to remind myself that it was only the insert of a fortune cookie. Nothing to seriously believe in. But I still had hope.

Of course, this just had to be one of the worst days I've had in a while. Not only did I not get proposed to, but I ended up breaking up with my boyfriend two weeks before my magical fortune cookie's promised day of goodness. Then four of my friends got mad at me today and there was so much drama that I thought it would never end. The best part of my day was when I was at school learning about Zoroastrianism.

I have to admit, I was pretty mad at that stupid cookie.

Before the clock struck midnight, however, I had made up with each of my friends and my heart was at peace. I now have a renewed appreciation for my friends and the strength of God to move our bickering hearts to compassion. I realized that the devil was just sticking his grubby little fingers into our sore spots because he is mad at the goodness we encountered over the weekend. But (as always) God prevailed, making my love for Him and my dear friends stronger than ever.

Maybe the cookie wasn't such a liar after all.



No comments: