Tuesday, September 02, 2008

aa ab laut chalen

...or "Let's Go Back" in English.

Last night (or rather from 1:30am to 5:30am last morning) I watched a movie that Hakim had sent me for my birthday last year. Knowing that Hindi movies last forever, I had waited until I knew I had a good 3-4 hour chunk of time to spare. I had decided to stay up to call and wish Chrissy fairwell before she left her apartment at 4:30am, so "Aa Ab Laut Chalen" finally got played. Read the synopsis here.

It was an intersting movie...the initial portrayal of America was as I imagine many people trying to come to America for work would hold. And when Rohan initially arrived in America, it was an ideal place to be. Life was good. Throughout the movie, however, he began to appreciate the way life had been in India. The more he missed India, the more corrupt America and the American lifestyle was portrayed.
Just an interesting view of America through the eyes of another culture.
God bless Baliwood!

No comments: