Monday, September 08, 2008

getting to know you

I took a nap at Ryan's house yesterday and had an awful dream that my parents got divorced. I woke up to myself hyperventilating and then began to cry. I was really upset. Poor Ryan was trying his best to comfort me but really didn't know what to do. He held me and stroked my hair. Then he got me a glass of water with a straw and kleenex.

All I really wanted was for him to ask me what the dream was about so I could talk about it but was feeling too proud to tell him about it on my own. Finally he asked if there was anything else he could do for me and I replied "Ask me what my dream was about." So he did.

I told him and then I cried ever harder. He said a few comforting things and then said "I really don't know what else to say." I replied that he didn't have to say anything, just listen.

So he continued to hold me and was saying "Shh..." in a comforting manner. Finally I said "Please don't shh me. It just seems like you're trying to make me be quiet." He seemed suprized because he thought that I would want to stop crying.

Evenually I calmed down and he brought me a popsicle. We just sat there and he said "I really learned a lot today. I learned that sometimes you don't have to say anything and that crying can be good." It was cute. He seemed genuinely excited to be getting to know how I work. I am happy to. I have such a great guy!

Jesus, thank you for Ryan and all of his goodness!





1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.