Saturday, January 17, 2009

bravery

I just finished watching The Scarlet and the Black, a 1983 film starring Gregory Peck and Christopher Plummer. It is a true story, based on the book The Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican, about a Msgr. O'Flaherty who helps Allied POW's hide from the Nazis during their occupancy of Rome during WWII. It's almost a 3 hour film, but very inspiring and very worth watching.



The first time I watched it was right before I left for India. I was so nervous and really didn't want to go anymore. I questioned why I thought it was a good idea in the first place. Now, watching it again after 2.5 years, I am at the same crossroads on the eve before I leave for the March for Life. I don't know why I am so nervous about this. Maybe it has something to do with the sentiments of our new president, maybe it has something to do with not being there with the group I usually go with, I don't know.

But as I watched The Scarlet and the Black, I was so inspired by the bravery of Msgr. O'Flaherty. He was truly an example for all of us to follow when it comes to standing up for what we believe in and supporting the dignity of life.

God give me courage.

No comments: