Friday, June 13, 2008

i had malaria?

Recently, the Blood Center of Iowa has hit critical levels in their blood supply. So, they held a blood drive and work and I decided to participate.

I made the appointment for 8:15am because I was supposed to work the night before. However, I was sent home on call at 2am. So I woke up at 7:45 am to reschedule my appointment for 11:45am and was unable to go back to sleep, so I made Ryan a birthday cake (see above).

When I got to work, I went through the screening process where you have to answer a page full of questions about your medical, travel, and sexual history, etc. When it came to the part about traveling, I had been to England and India within the past three years.

Apparently, if you've had a fever in India in the past 3 years, you cannot give blood because it's possible that you had malaria! Who knew? Since I had a temp of 102 F for 5 days, I have to wait until next June before giving blood again.

Sad day.

No comments: