Thursday, May 12, 2005

constructive criticism

Today during his homily, Fr. Emmanuel was talking about how Paul, in today's first reading, was being persecuted for doing what was right and how the world is full of darkness. This darkness is also in each one of us because of our tendancy to sin, and when someone shines light into the darkness, we often feel exposed and humiliated, so we may try to stop the light.

He spoke of how we are so bad at taking constructive criticism, even though we know the other is right and that we do need to change.

Change, after all, can be very frightening. It seems much more comfortable to sit in sin, participating in the defliement of our souls than to come into the light and be cleansed.

Well, this spoke to my heart, because Manuel and I were having a conversation very similar to this yesterday. And I know that I really stink at admiting when I am wrong. Blaming others - anyone but myself - seems much easier than admiting that I am wrong and imperfect.

It's funny how God works.

Lord, please humble be to be able to accept that I am not always right. Help me to realize that the criticism of others touches me so strongly because I need to change. Give me the grace to follow You to perfection more and more every day.

Accept whatever befalls you, in crushing misfortune be patient; For in fire gold is tested, and worthy men in the crucible of humiliation. Sirach 2: 4-5

No comments: