Tuesday, May 17, 2005

how not to get drunk

So today I went to my aunt's school and helped her teach her ESL class. It was so amazing because as soon as I walked into the room all of the students just loved me. (I even had one proposal! But don't expect to get a wedding invitation anytime soon!) The only other time I've walked into a group of young people and felt so loved and accepted was the last time I came to her class four or five years ago. It was amazing and I think it has a great deal to do with their teacher. ;)

We discussed prejudice and went over some essays they had written on the subject. One of the girls wrote something about how prejudice is not just in America but is all over the world. That made me really think so I asked them if they could think about the prejudice in their home countries, even remembering times they discriminated and pre-judged other people. Then I had them reflect upon how they are discriminated against now and how prejudice is so situational and hurtful. It was a good day.

Now I am sitting in my Grandma's living room with my dad, aunt, and Grandma drinking a vodka and tonic with lemon (or cure for malaria, scurvy, and bacterial infections as my dad puts it). I am super greatful that Manuel told me that when you drink alcohol you should sip it so you don't get drunk. (Because if I didn't know that I probably would resort to to chugging like I do with every other kind of drink - e.g. milk, etc.) THAT would not be the best way to start my summer-long visit to Virginia.

Tonight we are all eating dinner in the cafeteria at my Grandma's home and tomorrow I'm going fishing with my dad, uncle, and cousin. Then we're going to have a memorial dinner for my late Grandfather on Wednesday night with all of his favorite foods and his favorite desert!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Dana said...

hey darling!
its good to hear you're still alive and kicking down there. miss you tons up here!
Thanks for all the info about SLP, i'm looking into UNI and everything. you're the greatest

sirhair said...

that sounds like alot of fun... but a vodka tonic? I thought it was Gin & tonic that did the general malady healin... you're drinking vodka??? lol. :-)